Site Map Icon
RSS Feed icon
Manomet House Fire
Posted On: May 29, 2012

 

Fire heavily damages Manomet home

By Rich Harbert
Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 02:37 PM
Last update May 04, 2012 @ 03:57 PM
 
Print Comment  

 


An early morning fire tore through a house in Manomet Sunday, leaving a young family of four temporarily without a home.

Fire Chief Ed Bradley said the 2 a.m. fire at 19 Penny Lane in the Shallow Pond Estates neighborhood burned the porch off the front of the house and destroyed the contents of almost every room.

The house is owned by Jerry and Siobhan Tavares.

The couple and their two children, a toddler and an infant, barely escaped out the back of the house before the two-story home was engulfed in flames.

“They heard noises and woke up and saw the flames and bright light coming in the window. The whole front of the house was on fire and they were just able to grab the babies and get out the back,” Bradley said.

Bradley said the cause of the fire was accidental, the result of a cigarette being disposed of in dry mulch beside the front porch earlier in the night.

Bradley said the house had just recently been landscaped and this spring’s extremely dry conditions left the mulch beside the front porch vulnerable to fire.

Bradley said the fire gutted nearly every room in the house, destroying all of the family’s possessions.

Neighbors took the family in for the night and the American Red Cross and relatives are helping them get back on their feet, Bradley said.

Bradley said the fire demonstrates the dangers facing homeowners in this unusually arid spring.

He noted a fire last month that burned the back of an apartment house on Summer Street. In both cases, the careless disposal of a cigarette started the fire but the dry condition of the siding fueled the flames.

“Everyone knows the forest is dry but they don’t realize their mulch and their own house siding is extremely dry. It doesn’t take much to get them going,” Bradley said.

Bradley advised residents to be especially careful with smoking materials and grills this spring and cautioned against mulching up to the side of residences.



Read more: Fire heavily damages Manomet home - Plymouth, MA - Wicked Local Plymouth http://www.wickedlocal.com/plymouth/news/x1942565579/Fire-heavily-damages-Manomet-home#ixzz1wJXVtleK


Member Login
Username:

Password:


Not registered yet?
Click Here to sign-up

Forgot Your Login?
  Module Title Here  
 
To add an event to the calendar, please fill out the following form.
 
     
Upcoming Events
Group 4
Oct 19, 2017
Group 2
Oct 20, 2017
Group 1
Oct 21, 2017
Group 3
Oct 22, 2017
Group 2
Oct 23, 2017
Important Links
IAFF
Plymouth Retirement Site
Plymouth Fire Hockey Team
PFFM
PERAC
MA Civil Service
ICMA Retirement
National Fire Protection Association
IAFFLocals.net
Retired Prefessional Fire Fighters Cancer Fund, Inc.
Duxbury Fire Fighters
Action Center
Your Elected Political Officials
Find your Federal, State and Local Officials. Write to them and tell them how they're doing.
Dept of Fire Services
MA Dept of Fire Services site has great information on fire safety and other related issues.
Plymouth Fire Local 1768
Copyright © 2017, All Rights Reserved.
Powered By UnionActive™
Visit Unions-America.com!

Top of Page image